The New York State Nut Tree Trail

The John Gordon Demonstration Nut Grove near Trumansburg, NY is just one of the possible stops on the evolving New York State Nut Tree Trail. John Gordon was a well-known horticulturist with a nursery near Buffalo. He specialized in breeding and growing woody plants; particularly nut trees, paw-paws and persimmons.  He was one of the founding members of the New York Nut Growers Association; the organization that features the “Nut Tree Trail” on their website.

The “Trail” is more than a map on a website, however. Each site identified is the home to growing nut trees of one or more species. At each site a contact person is identified who will be willing and able to answer your questions about the plants growing there. Black walnuts, butternuts, shagbark hickories, shellbark hickories, pecans, hazelnuts, heartnuts, English walnuts, American chestnuts, and hybrid chestnuts can be found at one site or another.

Some sites are on state lands or college properties open to the public year around. Other sites are on private lands and accessible by appointment. More sites are sure to be identified and added to the “Trail”. Perhaps you know of a flourishing nut tree orchard in NY that we have overlooked?  You can nominate these sites and see them added to the Trail” by following the simple directions on the NYNGA website. Join us in educating the general public about the benefits of nut trees and the fruit they produce.

For more information on the internship, or to report a rare tree, visit NYNGA , or contact John Wertis, president, at (607) 387-4331, or bwwfarmtoday@aol.com.

Avatar of John Wertis

John Wertis

For more information on the internship, or to report a rare tree, visit www.NYNGA.org, or contact John Wertis, president, at (607) 387-4331, or bwwfarmtoday@aol.com.

1. Avatar of Tim Barlette Tim Barlette on April 23, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I am looking to start a Nut Growing Tree Farm. Is there anyone I could ask for advice with in my area (Chautauqua County) just south of Buffalo NY? I would very much appreciate it.

2. Avatar of Tara Hammonds Tara Hammonds on April 24, 2015 at 10:27 am

Hi Tim, thanks for your interest! Please contact the author, John Wertis, at (607) 387-4331 or bwwfarmtoday@aol.com, as he may be able to give you some advice for your farm.

3. Avatar of Ron Ron on February 2, 2018 at 10:14 am

I am trying to improve my deer habitat in Jefferson County NY and I would like to plant fruit and nut trees. My question is: Will Dunstan Chestnut and persimmon trees grow in zone 4?

• Avatar of Carli Fraccarolli Carli Fraccarolli on February 6, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Hi Ron, thanks for your interest! Unfortunately we do not have staff that specialize in fruit and nut trees. Please contact the author, John Wertis, at (607) 387-4331 or bwwfarmtoday@aol.com, with your questions. He may be able to give you some answers and advice.

4. Avatar of Heidi Hoyt Heidi Hoyt on June 22, 2018 at 10:14 am

Greetings,
    I believe I have a Buffalo Nut tree growing just off my lawn in a heavily wooded area. Is this possible? I understand they are parasitic. I can forward a picture of leaves and drupes.
    Heidi

• klr235 on June 22, 2018 at 11:09 am

Hi Heidi,
      I would recommend reaching out to the author of this article at bwwfarmtoday@aol.com with your inquiry.
      -Kelsie

5. Avatar of Charlton Merkin Charlton Merkin on August 20, 2019 at 8:58 am

This is Charlton Merkin.

I’m searching for a long time organic, or biodynamic walnut grower that does not spray any,ahem, allowable chemicals sanctioned by USDA,NOP & OMRI!

These substances are including,but not limited to,”Entrust,”GF120, Grandevo , Dipel-AKA -Bacillus Thuringiensis,or BT,hydrogen peroxide & lime sulfur!

If u know of such a farm please let me know!

The most efficacious way to contact Charlton is via text, at 408-380-9140.

C-YA

6. Avatar of Terry Stark Terry Stark on June 19, 2020 at 1:52 pm

I am look for sources of both Prok and Yates scion wood for future grafting. I would need a large amount. Do you have any recommendations? Does John H. Gordon Jr. still have sources available? It is my understanding that he has passed away and was not sure what the situation is with his orchard is.
    Terry Stark
    Stark Bros nurseries
    573-330-8879
    Terry.stark@starkbros.com
    Thank you