There are approximately 19 million U.S military veterans, representing less than 10% of the total U.S. adult population. New York State is home to over 800,000 of that military veteran population. Not commonly known and understood, military service members have unique skill sets, which easily transfer to several agricultural or horticulture vocations.
Farm Ops provides the means for veterans, active duty service members, reservists, and members of the national guard to explore agricultural and horticulture avenues. These individuals may be seeking prospects to be their own boss, paths to connect with the soil or with nature, ventures to continue to serve the community in which they work and live, or just opportunities to connect with other veterans. Whatever their interests, Farm Ops aims to serve and support the men and women of NYS, who dedicated their lives in service and support of our nation.
Mission: To support military service members and veterans who desire to explore and/or pursue agricultural vocations.
- Provide a framework within which veterans can connect with their community, other military veterans involved in agriculture, and resources including targeted programs, information networks, and organizations oriented towards helping veterans transition to agricultural vocations.
- Grow the relationships between Farm Ops and the NYS military/veteran communities.
- Assist in synchronizing the efforts of veteran service/support organizations and farmer-oriented service organizations to gain efficiencies and better align services to farmer veteran needs.
Farm Ops News and Updates
This is an application is closed. Please view our Farm Ops Event Series page to see upcoming opportunities for veterans.Read More
Our Farm Ops project is continuing to find ways to support veterans interested in agriculture amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Recently the project expanded its offering of virtual workshops to…Read More
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic hasn’t stopped farmers from farming, nor has it stopped the work of our Farm Ops project to support veterans interested in agriculture. Last year we started…Read More
Join the NYS Farmer Veteran Email List
tWould you like to receive periodic email about events and opportunities for veterans interested or currenly working in agriculture?
- Choose the email address with which you want to subscribe to the list.
- Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org from the address you want to subscribe to the list.
- In the subject line of your message, type in: subscribe yourFirstName yourLastName. For example, subscribe Jane Doe
- Leave the message body blank. List subscription is subject to approval by the list owner.
About Nina Saeli
Nina joined the Small Farms Program in 2020 after five years of collaboration with the program as a beginning farmer. As the newest addition to the FarmOps team, she works to support both current and future farmer-veteran programming efforts. Nina's transitioning from almost 20 years of military service into the civilian community, helps to inform the program of some of the physical, social and mention challenges veterans face. Nina's work aims to help transitioning veterans find solace in aspect of agriculture that supports that veterans health, self sustainability, community inclusion or other life goals.
Sign up for the Cornell Small Farms Program E-Newsletter and check "Farm Ops" when you're signing up. You'll be sure to get updates and event announcements.