Welcoming a New Team Member to the Small Farms Program

The Cornell Small Farms Program team continues to grow, and we recently welcomed our newest team member, Sarah Bassman. Sarah introduces herself below, and shares more about what she’ll be working on as the Small Farms Program Extension Aide. 

I joined the Small Farms Program at the end of 2022 as an Extension Aide tasked with providing administrative, logistical and overall support of the program’s expanding needs. Sometimes having an extra hand to help get a job done makes all of the difference, and I am here to be that extra set of hands for the Small Farms Program team and the farmers we serve. 

I am very excited to join the Cornell Small Farms program in the new role of Extension/Program Aide. Before applying for this position, I spent a good amount of time learning about the program and immediately felt a deep connection to its purpose and motivation to contribute my skills toward its mission. My immediate goal is to expand upon the initial learning, develop an in-depth knowledge of the projects, and build new relationships to be able to anticipate needs and support growth. I look forward to helping with events both virtual and in person. 

Originally from Ohio, I lived abroad in Germany after high school, moved to Las Vegas, NV for a few years, and ultimately landed in New York state in 2007. Choosing to move to New York was largely inspired by a wonderful experience my husband had visiting a friend’s small farm in Watkins Glen, NY. The inspiration turned into reality and this area has become where we truly feel at home. That “at home” feeling comes from an authentic connection and shared commitment for the land and community that surrounds us. Sourcing our meat, fruits, vegetables, and other staples from a wide selection of local small farms quickly became an exciting aspect of our lives that we had not before experienced.

I soon wanted to learn more about growing my own food and started a garden. It was not long after I  sought more advanced horticulture-related guidance and participated in the Master Gardener Volunteer training in 2018, which progressed my interest in extension work. The vast amount of research-based information and resources provided to trainees is incredible. I couldn’t wait to share it with others, specifically new gardeners. I co-led two Seed to Supper class series, volunteered for the plant and bulb sales, acted as a classroom assistant for many virtual horticulture class offerings, and volunteered for the vegetable variety trial garden. It is facilitating the connection of people with the resources that help ensure successful outcomes that I find so meaningful and rewarding.

I live and garden in beautiful Brooktondale, NY, with my husband, son, and two dogs. Together we enjoy almost every outdoor activity we can manage. In addition, we love to craft, build, play music, cook and read. My horticulture focus is mainly on my vegetable and herb garden and my most precious crop, that I cannot live without, is my garlic. 

Sarah Bassman

Sarah joined the Small Farms Program at the end of 2022 as an Extension Aide tasked with providing administrative, logistical and overall support of the program’s expanding needs.
Posted in