Youth Pages: 4-H and Farming

Being born and raised on a farm has taught me many things. One of the most important is probably my work ethic. I hate to leave things unfinished, or not do my best at whatever I’m doing. I take my work ethic with me to school. My schedule is full and my classes give a lot of homework, but I try to never let my teachers down. I get my work done to the best of my abilities and because of that I get good grades. This is all a result of my learned work ethic. I also involve myself in a lot of extra activities such as sports and clubs. One club that has given me a lot is 4-H.

I’ve been in 4-H for seven years and it has taught me a lot. I show cows every year. I have participated in public speaking competitions which have helped me be more open to giving presentations and speaking to groups. Just recently I spoke at a youth food summit about farming. I’ve shown pigs and rabbits, as well as participated in other 4-H functions outside of the fair. 4-H helps me be a better leader. I am the president of the Kow Kraze 4-H club and I have helped at different events in leadership positions. 4-H is helping to prepare me for the outside world and helping me be a better, more well rounded person. I don’t know where I would be today if it weren’t for 4-H and the farm.

For more information on the 4-H Dairy Project visit http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/4H/dairycattle

Avatar of Sadie Smith

Sadie Smith

Kow Kraze 4-H Club, St. Lawrence County