Horse Connections

The Youth Pages are written by and for young people. We believe there’s a bright future for young farmers in the Northeast. Whether you live on a farm or only wish you did, we’d love to hear from you!

by Haley Claes

two people on horseback

Haley Claes and her horse ‘Missy’ featured at her local 4H Bi-County Show in 2011. Courtesy of Haley Claes.

When I started taking lessons at 8 years old, my instructor, Marsha Douglass, introduced us to 4-H. Mrs. Douglass had a club when her kids were young, so my family and I decided to look into it. We eventually started our own club; Horse Lovers Unlimited, with Mrs. Douglass as our leader and my mom as the Project Coordinator. Through 4-H I met many other young ladies and participated in a 4-H horse camp, a horse quiz bowl and I have done Horse Communications for seven years making it to states four times. Horse camp is held at our local fairgrounds for a week, and some kids stay the night in campers. It is open to all 4-Her’s in Fulton-Montgomery Counties. Every day we have clinics with volunteer instructors and trainers. We also have guest speakers come in to teach a topic. Sometimes we have a vet talking about first aid or equine diseases. I have learned so much during these 4-H horse camps.

I have had the pleasure of having many horses throughout my life. The first horse I ever rode was an eleven year old quarter horse named Misty. When I turned eight, I decided I wanted to do more than ride around in our backyard; I wanted to show. We had another quarter horse named K.C. who was also eleven, and he was a lazy bomb proof horse: perfect for a beginner show horse.
I was only able to show K.C. for two years because he had an infection in his coffin bone, and had continuous abscesses. 4-H horse quiz bowl helped me understand and learn about where the coffin bone was and what an abscess was. I ended up with another horse called Little Bit. I continued taking lessons from Marsha and going to horse camp and small 4-H shows like at the local fair. We didn’t click very well and my mom starting riding him so I had to look for another horse for myself.

It didn’t take long until we found a beautiful sorrel mare; Belle. We connected immediately.

I was about twelve when I started showing Belle in 4H and open shows. I started boarding Belle at a local barn two years after we got her, so I could ride in the winter. After only being there for 3 weeks, one day something was wrong. Belle kept coughing and began acting different. We thought she had choked so we ended up going to the vet clinic. Belle stayed there for a week and we learned she had a tear in her esophagus. We also learned there was nothing we could do. So we had to have her put down and I will never forget that day.

It took me a while to get over losing Belle. A few months later we found Missy. I was very lucky to find another wonderful horse; she was perfect for me, again we connected immediately.

I plan to show her and ride her in our 4-H show, 4-H horse camp, local fairs and open shows. I can’t wait until the 2012 show season starts.

Haley Claes, age 16, is in the Horse Lovers Unlimited 4-H Club of Fulton and Montgomery Counties.
For more information on how to join 4-H visit https://nys4-h.org

Avatar of Maryn Carlson

Maryn Carlson