Celebrating Organic Ag Field Day – September 8
Sunday, September 8, 2013
Homer C. Thompson Research Farm
133 Fall Creek Rd., Freeville, NY
Join us at Cornell’s Thompson Research Farm for a Field Day hosted by Cornell and the Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York.
For more than a decade, the Thompson Research Farm has been a testing ground for research in organic crop production, from cover crops to breeding hardy new vegetable varieties. We’re celebrating with an afternoon of fun for the whole family where you can also learn a bit about how your food is produced, what new things growers and researchers are trying out, and how to improve your gardening and growing practices.
The open house will feature hands-on activities led by faculty and staff researchers on the latest techniques and proven practices for organic gardeners and small farmers, including:
- Weed and water management using cover crops and mulches
- Trickle irrigation and hand tools for gardeners
- Plant variety selection, hand pollinating and breeding for disease resistance
- Saving, cleaning and storing seeds
- Composting with Master Composters and building healthy soil
- Enhancing summer’s bounty through pepper roasting
- Raptors, activities and games just for kids
The event is free and will run from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Light refreshments will be served. For more information contact Betsy Leonard at (607) 423-8366 or firstname.lastname@example.org.