CCE Ag Labor Newsletter and Facebook Page
Subscribe to the Cornell Cooperative Extension Eastern NY Commercial Horticulture Team’s e-newsletter to receive information about upcoming trainings, presentations, webinars, and additional information and resources to help farm employers and mangers improve their skills. Sign up to receive the newsletter here, and follow the CCE Ag Labor Facebook page here.
Articles on Labor Management
“Making the Leap to Owner-Operator: Are You Labor Ready?” by Ethan Grundberg, ENYCHP
“Supervising Seasonal and Temporary Workers: Special Considerations” by Elizabeth Higgins, ENYCHP
Upcoming Events & Workshops – 2019
Two Labor Ready workshops scheduled for Spring 2019. Updated information and registration link coming soon! Please feel free to contact us in the meantime, we are always happy to hear from you!
Farm Management Master Classes. Two-day Intensive Workshops Focusing on Employee Supervision.
- Eastern New York State – March 5-6, 2019
- FDR Library in Hyde Park
- Western New York State – March 11-12, 2019
- Rotary Lodge at Greece Canal Park
Western New York Master Class for Bilingual Orchard Crew Members
This series of seven classes was offered in fall 2018. The course intended to enhance the leadership and management skill-set, as well as the English-language proficiency of Spanish-speaking middle managers. Training outcomes for orchard crew members included, increased confidence in English-language communication, people skills and overall business acumen. Future training opportunities are currently under consideration. Please contact project staff if you would be interested in similar training opportunities for yourself or the employees you manage.
Roundtables in Spanish
Sessions took place in the Hudson Valley and in western New York for Latino agricultural employees to gather feedback and help inform program development. These roundtables offered an opportunity to discuss the role of a farm manager and identify skills that are important to successfully climb the ladder from laborer to management. Events took place:
- March 12, 4-7 pm, Goshen, NY – contact Gabriela Pereyra for more information to sign up by email or phone (212)788-7900 x288
- 12 de Marzo de 4 a 7 pm en Goshen, NY- Para registrarse llamar a Gabriela Pereyra al (212)788-7900 x288 o envía un email
- March 16, 1-4 pm, Wayne County – more information can be found in the event announcement or on the registration website
- March 17, 1-4 PM, Orleans County – more information can be found in the event announcement or on the registration website