The Northeast Beginning Farmer Project was founded by a team of educators who care deeply about supporting the success of new farmers. It is housed at the Cornell Small Farms Program and is funded by the USDA’s Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Development Program, project #2009-49400-05878, with additional support from the NYFVI and the Local Economies Project.
Visit the website at www.nebeginningfarmers.org. There you will find:
- Self-guided tutorials on planning farm start-up, including FAQ’s, videos, and built-in worksheets at Plan Your Farm.
- Online courses taught by experienced Extension educators
- Publications for new farmers like the Guide to Farming in NY and its companion, the Guide to Urban Farming in NYS, the On-Farm Poultry Processing Guide, and others.
- Links to our new series of farming videos, including a behind-the-scenes look at how successful producers grow their products.
- A map of beginning farmer service providers across the Northeast. When we initiated this beginning farmer work in 2006, we focused exclusively in NY, but in recent years we have focused on building connections among the many excellent organizations serving beginning farmers across the Northeast region. In 2013, a 2-year grant from Northeast SARE enabled us to continue working with these organizations to provide training and evaluation to enhance the success of the new farmers they serve.
Northeast Beginning Farmer Project Team:
- Anu Rangarajan – Cornell Small Farms Program
- Erica Frenay – Cornell Small Farms Program
- Catherine Moore – CCE Jefferson County
- Lynn Bliven – CCE Allegany/Cattaraugus
- Steve Hadcock – CCE Albany County
- Bob Weybright – Eastern New York Commercial Horticulture Program
- Dan Welch – NY FarmNet
- Ed Staehr – NY FarmNet
- David Grusenmeyer – NY Farm Viability Institute
- Aileen Randolph – NY Farm Viability Institute
- Bradd Vickers – Farmer Veteran Coalition of NY
- Jamie Critelli – Farmer Veteran Coalition of NY
- Leora Barish – Heroic Food Farm School
- Norm Conrad – National Center for Appropriate Technology
- Institute for Veterans and Military Families
- NY Department of Veterans Affairs
- NY Department of Labor
If you have comments or questions, please email email@example.com or call 607-255-9911.